In case you are experiencing a late filing of SSS maternity notification, do not panic. You can still get SSS maternity benefits even if you have not submitted a maternity notification.
This is because you can submit birth documents up to ten (10) years after you have given birth. However, there is a crucial part which is you must have paid the monthly contributions before your delivery. Read more to find out.
What is SSS maternity notification
Before you give birth, you must have given a maternity notification to SSS. The purpose is to notify SSS that want to avail the maternity benefits.
If you have not submitted a maternity notification, continue reading.
Usual reasons of late filing of SSS maternity notification
- Unknown pregnancy: There may be instances you don’t know you’re pregnant until the late stages of pregnancy.
- Miscarriage: Similar to unknown pregnancy, you don’t know you were pregnant until you’ve had a miscarriage.
- Unaware of eligibility to maternity benefits: If unemployed, some women do not know that they are entitled to SSS maternity benefits. Some women also simply are not aware of the Expanded Maternity Law 2019 which was implemented during Duterte’s administration. It includes the privilege of enjoying the maternity benefits regardless of the number of pregnancies you’ve had, instead of the original law which only grants benefits to only four (4) pregnancies.
Requirements to late filing of maternity notification
You have paid at least three (3) monthly contributions within a year before your semester of contingency. This is the most important part.
SSS usually allows late filing of maternity notification. But you must still comply to paying the monthly contributions before you have given birth.
Read the following articles to learn more about semester of contingency:
Prepare your documents and you can apply for the maternity benefits online on the SSS member website.
- If employed, you can submit the documents via your employer/HR and they will process your SSS maternity benefits application.
- If you are self-employed, voluntary, OFW, non-working spouse, kasambahay, or separated from employer, you need to manually submit these documents online on your own.
The following are the document requirements:
1. MAT-2 Form
2. Letter of explanation of late filing of SSS maternity notification
3. PSA-certified birth certificate of your child
4. Proof of pregnancy —
- ultrasound photos
- a complete obstetrical history
5. two (2) valid IDs including your UMID
Sample letter of explanation for late filing of SSS maternity notification
Dear SSS Representative,
I am _______________ and my SSS number is _______ .
I am writing to your good office because I want to avail the SSS maternity benefits. However, I was not able to file for maternity notification because ______________.
I have given birth on __________ and I have made at least three (3) monthly contributions within a year prior to my semester of contingency.
I sincerely hope that your office will accept my late filing and I apologize for the late filing.
If you need to contact me, you can reach me in the following:
Phone Number: ____________
Email Address: _____________
<Name and Signature>
AS long as you have the documents and you clearly explain your situation, SSS will grant your appeal to avail of the maternity benefits even if you missed the step of filing a maternity notification.